Friends, Here Come Finals!
Finals are coming up, so what exactly does that mean? Chaos! …But it doesn’t have to. As long as you stay organized and calm, finals week won’t be as hectic as it’s made out to be. Here are a couple of tips to keep in your back pocket.
- Prepare Yourself: Easier said than done, huh? We all get the syllabus at the beginning of the first class, yet it always seems that the final exam keeps sneaking up on us – no matter how prepared we are. There are solutions to help with this. Try looking over one chapter per week, a month before the final. That way, when the final exam comes up, you’ll already be familiar with a lot of the material.
- Don’t Cram: No matter what you do, do NOT wait until the last minute. Finals are already stressful; no use in stressing yourself out more by cramming tons of study material into a short time frame. Use your time wisely.
- Sleep: Always set time apart for your rest. Not only is sleep good for your body, it’s important for your brain too. The brain actually sorts through and stores information, and even solves problems, while you snooze. You could actually still be reviewing while you’re sleeping.
- Eat Breakfast: Before the big exam, try to get a nice breakfast in. Even if you don’t usually eat breakfast or are too nervous to develop an appetite, it’s always good to eat something. Your brain needs the energy from food to work efficiently. It would suck to invest all that time in studying and have your brain become too tired to remember anything. Fuel your engine.
- Relax: Lastly, relax! Don’t freak out, because the extra stress can affect your performance. Try changing your position to help you relax during the exam. If you go blank on a question, just skip it and go on. Don’t panic when you see other students turning in their exams. There’s no reward for finishing first. Go at your own pace and be confident in your studies.
As long as you keep these tips in the back of your head, finals week won’t be as chaotic. Finish the year off strong and welcome winter break or summer with open arms!