Words With Friends

words with friends screenshot

If you’ve read my last post, you know about the new social networking game, Foursquare. However, for those of us who aren’t as comfortable sharing our locations with our network, there is another game that seems to be taking over student cell phones everywhere.

The game I’m talking about is called Words With Friends (or just “Words” for short). Originally, when I first started playing, it seemed like a ripoff of the classic game Scrabble. But once you start playing, you realize that Words brings some unique features to the table that the average game of Scrabble just can’t compete with. Some of the coolest things about this app are:

• Available for iPhone, iPod Touch and Android
  • Multiple games going at one time
  • In-game chat with the people you are playing
  • I guarantee some, if not most, of your friends already have accounts

The multiple-games-at-once concept might be difficult to grasp at first, but it’s actually pretty ingenious the way it implements this feature. Typically, the average Words game can take a day or two to finish. This is because moves are made at the player’s convenience, or in my case, when I get a break from homework or soccer practice. Because there can be a couple hours in between plays, Words lets you have multiple games going with different people to help make sure that things never get boring.

Those familiar with the game and rules of Scrabble will be comfortable firing up Words for the first time. But even new players can pick up on the concepts quickly. Words is available in both a free and a paid version. The only difference between the two is that the paid version removes all ads from the app and doesn’t show you ads in between turns. In reality, this isn’t as annoying as it may sound, and while I’ve got the paid version on my phone, I was really happy with the free one as well.

If you want to join in on the game, just search your app store for “Words With Friends” and you should find the app for your device. Feel free to start up a game with me by using my username: kyledreger.

Happy spelling!