Winter Back at Home

It’s the end of November, I just finished the rough draft of a 20+ page Spanish research paper, I have a Geographical Information Systems final project to worry about and 3 exams to study for (one being Corporate Finance, which is the hardest class in my major). This can really only mean one thing, Christmas break is just around the corner, and it couldn’t be any closer. A while back I posted a simple guide to surviving finals week, and will revisit some of my own recommendations in anticipation to returning back home for a good month. Winter and the holidays mean to me a lot of different things, but all I really think about is snow, warm fireplaces, purposely excessive Christmas decorations, tons of cookies, traditional Slovak dinners, pea coats, video games, Christmas music playing around the clock (especially Kenny G, Mariah Carey, Babyface, Colbie Caillat and the Elf soundtrack), old friends, snow football games, Tim Tam Slams, hot cocoa and of course, family.

How to successfully do a Tim Tam Slam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQZX1nLOJ4

With my two older brothers soon to be living both in New York City, Christmas back at home this year will be extra special. Also, going back to my hometown of Cedarburg, Wisconsin will be warming because of the winter wonderland it is made out to be. Historic Cedarburg is a beautiful destination any time of the year (I now realize this since I am out of high school), but especially during the winter. It has century old limestone buildings, an old woolen mill, Cedar Creek Winery, unique art galleries, coffee houses and cozy pubs and restaurants, while two historic inns greet cozy travelers. Thousands of lights brighten the main Washington Avenue, which is quite inviting to a stroll throughout the historic district. It’s no joke that Cedarburg was honored by Forbes Magazine as one of the prettiest towns in America in 2011 and as one of the Midwest’s 6 best holiday shopping towns in Midwest Living.

It is also home to countless festivals and lovely events. There’s a tree lighting, Festive Friday Eves with “Christmas in the Country,” an Artists Guild Holiday Art Fair, photos with Santa at his workshop, holiday concerts and the Polar Express among more, which are all capped off by Winter Festival held in mid February. Winter Fest is the highlight of the Cedarburg holidays because of the ice sculpture contest that lines the streets, restaurant specials and tons of activities like “bed races” on Cedar Creek (if it is frozen enough!).

When I fly home on December 15, there will be much anticipation for revisiting with family and friends. It also will be an unfortunate realization that I am soon graduating, and won’t have a whole months worth of winter break to celebrate winter at home in my history city. Once I get through finals, at last, I will have some much needed time for relaxation, especially with the people who are closest to my heart.