Whirlwind week of work

I’m back from my week-long work trip in Kansas City, Missouri!  I spent a week there helping out a sports management company that I interned with last summer.  The company called me again this summer to help out with a few events here and there, and this time I helped out with a Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Kansas City.

I really enjoyed being with the company again and helping out in such a beautiful city. We spent 10 hours everyday for 6 days straight working in a different part of Kansas City in a Dick’s Sporting Goods store. While at the store, Komen was holding registration signups and packet pick-up for the race. What I did all week was basically customer service. If an individual said that he or she had registered but the volunteers could not find his or her number in the huge stack of bibs (running numbers), I would go into the registration database and try to figure out why it was missing. Mistakes like this happen because names are somehow misspelled, individuals never actually registered or that a donation was made instead of registering for the actual race. I would also help to reassign new bibs for runners if they couldn’t find them, and I would also transfer some participants if they were in the walking race and wanted to be switched to the timed-running race.

After our workdays were over, we were able to go out, eat dinner and explore the city. I didn’t do too much exploring because I was typically so tired after work. I did get to try some really good food and I found a great shopping mall one night! Sunday morning was the race and we had to wake up at 4:30 a.m. to start preparing for the day. We ended up having around 23,000 people in the race and it was just such an amazing sight to see.

All the of the people who are breast cancer survivors wore pink so it was easy to tell who they were, and it was such an emotional event for everyone. The purpose of this event/charity is to raise money for breast cancer research so hopefully someday there will be a cure for it.

Now I’m back in Ohio and I just have a few more days of work at my other two jobs!!

Have a good week everyone! :]

-Shannon

2 Responses