What’s with all the Manly Men? (A Movember Post)

There is a lot of buzz going around about “No Shave November,” and I have been seeing a plethora of people carrying impressive Ron Burgundy mustaches. Since I never knew the reasoning behind all this madness, I decided to sift through some beards and dig deep into the cause.

The first resource I searched was the urban dictionary. Accordingly, the month of November is when you don’t shave any hair on your body. Instead, you grow to become more bestial, brutish and manly. This dictionary said that the months of December, January, February and so on may also be included in this celebration of masculinity. For example February is “Forget to Shave February.” I quickly came to realize there were no answers here. So, I turned to my handy dandy Hip-Hoptionary. Again, no answers.

I finally found what I was looking for at the ever-so useful Wikipedia page. Movember (a portmanteau of the slang word “mo” for moustache and “November”) is an annual, month-long event involving the growing of moustaches/facial hair during the month of November. The event was conceived in 1999 by a group of Australian men from Adelaide.

Since 2004, the Movember Foundation charity has run Movember events to raise awareness and funds for men’s health issues such as prostate cancer and depression in Australia and New Zealand. In 2007, events were held in Ireland, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Spain, the United Kingdom, Israel, South Africa, Taiwan and finally the United States. In 2010, Movember merged with the testicular cancer event Tacheback (via Wikipedia). I also found some very impressive and detailed rules if you would like to participate, because I certainly cannot grow enough facial hair.

The rules of conduct given on the Movember site are:

• Once registered at movember.com each mo bro must begin the 1st of Movember with a clean, shaved face.
  • For the entire month of Movember, each mo bro must grow and groom a moustache.
  • There is to be no joining of the mo to your side burns. (That’s considered a beard.)
  • There is to be no joining of the handlebars to your chin. (That’s considered a goatee.)
  • Each mo bro must conduct himself like a true country gentleman.

Information about how to register can be found here: http://us.movember.com/about/

So there you go, the final answer about what all the bearded/mustached men around campus are doing. I’m not sure if they all even realize the real cause for this, but I hope they help donate in some way or another. Although you may have class presentations or job interviews, maybe hide your roommate’s razor to support men’s health issues. Who knows, we might have the next Brett “The Diesel” Keisel beard here on our own campus.