The Holstee Manifesto

About a year or two ago, I came across a company called Holstee, a curated goods store that originally had only one good to sell – The Holstee Tee. It’s made of 100% recycled material. The shirt featured a unique holster positioned pocket … rethinking the classic t-shirt with focuses on fit, style, sustainability and functionality.

Over the course of the first year of business, the team designed and produced half a dozen new products including the recycled wallet, which is made of newspapers and plastic bags collected off the streets of India; The People Pendant, made of recycled acrylic scraps from a Chicago-area sign maker; and their Upcycled line of t-shirts, which highlight the lasting value of apparel. The reason I am so intrigued by this business model is because they are trying to drive social change, while making a lasting impact, but they are making some profits at the same time.

As the owner’s business starting to grow, they decided to write a manifesto of how their business was going, which became viral across the internet. The other day my brother shared with me a discount to their online store. I ordered a poster of the manifesto, which I will put on my wall so that I can look at it every day. Some of my favorite parts are:

• If you don’t like something, change it.
  • Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.
  • Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

Lastly, my favorite part which inspired the quote I put for the Mount homepage … Live your dream, and wear your passion. Basically, it is important to do something you enjoy, love to do everyday and will make you happy. A lot of the quotes relate to my Spain study abroad experience coming up in less than two months as well. Crazy! I hope this post inspired you to make a change, do something different and out of the ordinary or just help you ponder life.