Take caution on the roads

The temperature outside keeps rising but that hasn’t stopped me from doing things outside :] I’m running in a 5-mile race this upcoming Sunday and I’m excited about it, but also a little nervous too.  I haven’t participated in a race yet this year so it’ll be a little tough, but I’m definitely eager to get back out there and run with hundreds of people.  The race is called the “Johnnycake Jog” and we run through the streets of Mentor, including the busiest street in the city, Mentor Avenue.  I’m going to be trying to get as many miles on my tennis shoes as I can this week in order to prepare myself for Sunday.  Wish me luck!

Also, we had a little bit of excitement this past week as my sister, my mom and I were out on a bicycle ride.  On Thursday, we had a bunch of errands that we had to get done and we figured that instead of driving around in our car, we might as well ride our bikes around town to get some exercise too.  After riding around for about a half hour, we stopped at Arby’s to get a little milkshake for a snack.  We enjoyed those, and then continued down the street towards our next stop.  We were riding on the sidewalk when we saw a small SUV-type vehicle about to turn into the driveway that we were about to cross. My sister was first and she made eye-contact with the driver.  He clearly saw us and was waving us to go through.  I went past him next, and my mom followed a few seconds behind me, and then we heard a huge CRASH.

My sister and I immediately looked back to make sure that my mom was okay since she was behind us and she was fine.  However, the car that was waiting to let us through the driveway was not.  A jeep had come up behind him driving at full speed (and clearly she wasn’t watching the road) and slammed into the back of his vehicle.

The jeep that had slammed into this SUV was completely totaled.  The woman driver was really shaken up and upset but she admitted right away that she looked away from the road for a second so she hadn’t noticed that traffic was stopped.  The two people in the vehicles were okay but it was just a sad situation because the man was super nice and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I guess he normally works at the Verizon Wireless in Mayfield, but he was called in to help out at the Mentor store that day so he said he’d help out.  Also, he was driving a new car.

He was so nice and told us that it definitely wasn’t our fault.  He said that he is a bicyclist as well and he is always cautious to bike riders when he sees them riding around town.  There were also a couple police officers on the scene as well and they also told us that this wasn’t our fault.

I think this is an important lesson to everyone though: If you’re on a bike, always make sure you make eye-contact with motorists so you know for sure that they are aware of you.  And if you are in a car, always make sure you are aware of pedestrians, bicyclists and surrounding traffic.  Things can happen so fast and it is just ignorant to take your eyes of the road to use your iPod, look at the scenery, change the CD player or to text.

I know this was a pretty serious blog post but it’s just so scary out on the roads sometimes and everyone needs to remember to be careful!  I hope everyone is enjoying their week and staying out of this humid, hot weather!

-Shannon