Spring Break is Over

The past nine days flew by faster than I could believe. And, if you ask me, it didn’t feel much like a vacation at all!

I’m from Chicago, and there are pretty much two seasons – windy and sunny and windy and snowy – each one lasting roughly six months. But this past week the weather has been absolutely nuts. Right now it’s 30 degrees and hailing. But, when I woke up this morning it was 60 degrees and sunny. Two days before that there was a winter storm warning and all of the local high schools were closed. Two days before that it was 65 degrees and I was running around campus in shorts and a t-shirt. If you don’t like the weather in Ohio, just wait five more minutes, it’ll change.

The last half on this past week was pretty hectic for me because it was the NCAA Division III Indoor Track & Field Championships down in Columbus, Ohio. I went with senior Scott Thomas who finished sixth place, which earned him All-American honors at the meet. He is the first All-American for our new head men’s track coach, Kevin Lucas, who is taking over for legend John Homon. There is no rest between indoor and outdoor track. The Stark County Championships will be held this Friday at nearby Walsh University, and a lot of Purple Raiders will be trying to qualify for conference and nationals in the next few weeks. This Saturday is the first step…

I am looking forward to the start of this week because the Annual Student Art Exhibit will open featuring artwork done by students at Mount Union! If you want check out some of these great pieces they will be on display at the Crandall Art Gallery starting Monday, March 14 and running through the end of the month. Types of art on display include drawing, design, printmaking, photography and sculpture. The Gallery is open Monday-Friday from 8 -9 a.m. and from 1 – 6 p.m. on weekends.

• kj says:

I’m really pleased to meet you, Sean. I come from a town not unlike Naperville – Princeton, NJ – where everything seems a bit too good to be true. Moved to Brooklyn unexpectedly from Wisconsin and had to make some major adjustments, so I can sort of empathize. You’re lucky to have so many interests. When I made my move, I didn’t know myself real well even though I’d graduated from college…in terms of sports, which do help so much, my favorite is tennis. It’s amazing how athletic it’s become over the past few decades. Watch some old movies, and unlike the shot put and the discus, I think you’ll find tennis has accelerated to a whole new level….have the track and field events? The weather here in Brooklyn is similar to Ohio’s except that you’re the one who has to move to find a different “climate.” Where I live it’s one temp and one type of weather, and where I work – out on Manahattan Beach about an hour away in the same city, it’s 10-15 degrees colder and a whole lot windier. I need to do what I love more – the tennis. You’re a real good role model for doing that…thank you!