Some of My Family History

At my age, my grandfather joined the Army and was carrying around a flamethrower for nine months.

It’s Black History Month and it is also a Leap Year, which means that there are 29 days this month. It seems like in grade school we only learned about black history in February. It is always interesting to know what this country has gone through ever since the country was founded.

I feel like I could always learn more about the black history but the thing that interest me the most is my family’s history. As I was doing a family project in the eighth grade, I had learned that my great-great grandparents escaped slavery. All I know for sure is that they were both from Alabama and somehow ended up in New York. After that, I’m not too sure what happened. I’m pretty sure they took their master’s name, Johnson. My last name is Johnston basically because my great-grandfather didn’t like my grandfather, so he added a “t” to Johnson.

I never met my great-grandfather, but I like my grandpa, so I’m keeping the name as is. At my age, my grandfather joined the Army and was carrying around a flamethrower for nine months. We’ve come a long way as a country since then. I’m proud of my grandfather for what he’s done and he’s proud of me for being in school.

I don’t know too much about my family history, but I know enough to know where my roots are generally from. If you’ve got any interesting ancestry stories, tell me because I am always interested in personal family history.  Every body has their own unique story.