SCHOLAR Day Surprise

SCHOLAR Day is a day in late April when all students at Mount Union get the day off to attend research project presentations by current students. Not only are research projects presented but the school also hosts an end of the year award ceremony. It’s primarily for seniors but Mount always recognizes the success of all undergraduates as well. I was lucky enough to be one of the undergraduates that were honored. At first I had no clue what I was being honored for because all I got was an email telling me to be in the Mount Union Theatre at a certain time. Unknowingly, my parents also got a letter with the same details. Since I knew we did not have classes on SCHOLAR Day I stayed up late and almost decided to sleep through the awards ceremony. However, I did decide to get out of bed before 11 a.m. and head to the theatre. Shortly after arriving at the theatre I got a pamphlet outlining the ceremony, and to my surprise I was chosen to receive the Department of Economics, Accounting and Business Administration Sophomore Student of the Year Award. I was also surprised to see my parents and grandparents sitting in the audience, but the best surprise was yet to come… After walking onstage and getting my picture taken with President Giese I sat down and opened the envelope I received expecting to see a certificate in it, but it was a $450 check for my hard work. I was glad I decided to attend the awards ceremony, and it just goes to show that hard work does payoff.