Opening doors

Aside from my jobs at the Winking Lizard and Bob Evans as a server, I am also employed at Hermes Sports and Events this summer. I was an intern at Hermes last summer and spent the summer waking up early on the weekends to head out to races and help with management and also helping run the sporting tournaments that were in the Cleveland Corporate Challenge. During the week, I worked 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. in the office in Cleveland doing prepwork for the races, running errands for the company, talking to clients, getting runners into the system as they sent in their registration forms and a bunch of other odd and end tasks.

I’m really excited because this month they emailed me and asked me if I’d work a race for them. This race was in Brecksville and they asked me if I could be there at 6:30 a.m. It is a very early morning but it’s so awesome to be out there and see everyone excited to be active and run a race. This time, I helped with registration before the race started and then results when the runners had finished coming through the finish line. I was done with work by 9:30 a.m. and then could go and have the rest of my day to get things done.

That’s one reason I would most recommend internships. They will open doors for you and if the company does want to keep you around and pay you for work, they will.

Hermes also asked me if I would go with them on a week-long trip in August to Kansas City, Missouri to help manage the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. That was one of my favorite things to do when I was an intern with them last summer and I was more than happy to say yes to go with them again. I had to take a week off of my other jobs but Hermes is paying me for that week and I love what we do. I also fell in love with Kansas City the first time I went so I’m really excited to be in the city again too. :]

Internships are rough sometimes because most are unpaid, but if they do end up asking you to help when your internship is over, you can be a paid employee and if you already love the company, it’s perfect!

Hope everyone has a fantastic holiday weekend. We’ve got some beautiful weather coming our way!

-Shannon

2 Responses