Oh, it’s Monday

Happy Monday!

You can always tell when it’s Monday at school…  Everyone just seems tired.  It was 68 degrees out today though so I think that brought everyone’s mood up just a little :]  I feel like the weekends always go by way too fast! Ugh.  This week seems like it’s a busy one for everyone.  There are a lot of tests, quizzes and projects happening right now.  It’s fun though – I really do like staying busy, so I don’t mind the work. Just hope I can get some sleep this week!

Tonight, I have three meetings in a row starting at 7 p.m. First is Studio M, which is the television station on campus.  I’ve been involved with the station since I came to Mount three years ago.  It’s really cool being able to know what goes into a television show and how exactly to work all of the equipment.  During the meetings, we usually talk about what is going on, what needs to be filmed and if anyone has any new ideas for TV shows.  There is a sports guy, Billy, who has a couple shows where he interviews coaches and players on the Mount Union athletic teams.

At 7:30 p.m. is the Dynamo editor meeting, which is when all of the editors for the newspaper get together to discuss story ideas and what we’d like to see in the paper for the following week.  This requires us to know what exactly is going on around campus but also to be looking for interview subjects and events to cover.

Then at 8 p.m., the entire Dynamo staff arrives for a meeting.  This meeting is where the editors, writers and photographers get together to collaborate and assign story ideas.  Writers can choose to write about any story that interests them and they are always encouraged to speak up with their own story ideas as well.

I think that’s what I love so much about the media outlets here at Mount Union.  I love being involved and I especially love being a part of the leadership teams, but it is so exciting because we can really take them wherever we’d like to.  If there’s something you’re mad, sad or happy about, write a commentary article for the Dynamo! Have something you’re interested in?  Interview someone or cover an event, and you can use the interview for the newspaper or radio station.

Last year, two of my friends and I had an idea for a television show at Studio M, so we were told to go ahead with it and we ran it a few times.  Our show was called “For Your Entertainment,” and basically the three of us found entertainment news stories that interested us and we discussed them.  It was really fun and I think you can learn a lot about yourself when you see yourself on television.  It helps you to know certain things you do with your hands while you’re talking or maybe it will teach you that you should smile more :]

Everything we do here is always a learning experience … but it is also fun and it is completely up to each individual to make it their own.  Have a great week!

-Shannon