New Kid on the Block

Hello! My name is Kaitlin Jeffreys and I’d like to introduce myself so you can get to know who’s helping you get to know the world of Mount Union! Before we get to where I am now, let’s start with from where I’m from.

I’m from Amherst, a pretty small city (about half the size of Alliance) just west of Cleveland. I’ve lived there my entire life and if you ask my mom, she’ll tell you that I’ll live there the rest of my life (which may or may not be true). It’s as close to Utopia as I’ve ever found. My family is a major part of my life. My brother is in the Air Force, so it’s just my mom, dad and me, and it has been that way for quite a few years now. In high school … well, all throughout my life for that matter, I was a swimmer. I lived, breathed, ate and drank swimming. If you had told me that I would go to college and NOT continue to swim, I would’ve told you that you were crazy.

I came to Mount Union on a rainy fall day during my junior year because I was looking at the swim team. Instead of falling for swimming, as I had planned, I fell for the beauty of this campus. The way it made me feel was like I’d lived here for years, but it was the first time I had set foot on the campus. I was weak in the knees for Chapman Hall. I was left fluttering over the quad and my heart beat faster when I first glanced at the Campus Lakes. Since then, my relationship with the campus has only grown.

Now, a little bit about myself and my life at this beautiful place… I’m a psychology major and have minors in intervention specialist (which I know, doesn’t sound like proper English, but it is) and sociology. I actually just switched most of that around last year as I previously was majoring in intervention specialist (special education) and had just one minor in psychology. I realized having a psychology degree would open up more doors into the field I actually want to pursue. Off of that, you should know that I have a deep passion for working with individuals with autism. I had an internship at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism the summer after my freshman year and my interest has continued to grow. I’ll talk more about that in a future blog, so stay tuned.

I’m also involved in a few organizations on campus. Alpha Phi Omega (which we call APO) was my first love when I came here. APO is a co-ed service fraternity that offers wonderful opportunities to serve the campus, community and even wider areas. I’m also a member of Delta Sigma Tau, one of the sororities on campus, and have found yet another family. The final major thing I do, aside from going to class of course, is help with planning Relay for Life on campus. I served on the planning committee as the team development co-chair. I’m sure there will be a blog in the future about this too!

I think that’s it for me. I hope that you will come back and read again in the future and get to know me better. I’ll be writing about a wide range of things that hopefully you will find interesting!