Learn to love rehearsal

When I was a kid, I know I was always told, “Practice makes perfect.” It’s one of those sayings that gets drilled into your head and becomes some sort of fundamental learning block that no one can escape.

But it’s wrong.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my time studying the arts at Mount Union, it’s that perfect practice makes perfect.

If you take lessons, you have to practice. And if you don’t practice correctly, you won’t succeed. It doesn’t do any good to practice something if you’re not going to do it right. If I slouched or strained my throat whenever I practiced, guess what I would probably do in a performance? Slouch and strain.

You have to treat practice and rehearsal just like a performance. My boyfriend recently said that if you practice poorly, you should leave the practice room feeling the same way you would leave a poor performance.

So true.

Treating rehearsals like a performance is something that I’ve really improved on since I got here. Dr. Cook, our choir director, always says you have to learn to love rehearsing. After all, only 10% of our music careers will ever be spent in a real performance. Everything else is practice and rehearsal.

I’m studying voice, and I’ve improved immensely since starting to practice regularly. I sang last week at a student recital. It wasn’t my favorite performance, but I was happy because of things that came easier because of being better at practicing.

You learn rules for excellent musicianship and success in general in the Department of Music.

Time to practice? Perfect.