Families Don’t Always Share The Same Genes

At Mount Union, the word family is a defying characteristic. When you think of the word family you often think of your mom or dad, an aunt or uncle, basically someone who is related to you genetically. However, the word family can represent a group of people who are in no way connected genetically. They didn’t come from the same town, same high school or even the same state. The word family simply connects the group of people through the strong bonds formed between each person and the valuable relationship they all share. The term family applies to the Mount Union campus in many ways as the campus as a whole is one big family made up of many intertwining families. These intertwining families possess their own special characteristics, which make them unique and set them apart from the others. Some examples of intertwining families are Greek life, residence life, student-led organizations and each grade level themselves. One intertwining family that is especially important to me is the Delta Sigma Tau sorority family, which is apart of the Greek life family.

As you probably know from my biography, I am an active sister in the Delta Sigma Tau sorority. To me, my sorority is my family – my home away from home. This past week in the sorority was “I” week, also known as initiation week, in which many new ladies became sisters of the sorority. Just as the Delta Sigma Tau family is a sub-family of the Greek life family, there are also sub-families in the Delta Sigma Tau sorority. The families in Delta Sigma Tau are made up of active sisters taking a new little each fall during initiation. Last Thursday, during “I” week, one of these new babies joined my family by becoming my little. A little is somewhat like a child or little sister. Taking a little is a process that many sisters in sororities and brothers in fraternities take part in at least once during the time they spend as active members. As I am only a sophomore, this was the first little that I have taken. My little is Alyssa Betro, a freshman at Mount Union.

Becoming a big is something special that cannot be fully understood until taking part in the process. It comes with many new responsibilities, experiences and opportunities. It gives you the chance to help someone and guide him or her through the college years. It gives you the chance to always be there for someone and make him or her know that he or she is never alone. It gives you the chance to create an unbreakable bond with someone based on love and friendship. It gives you the chance to make a difference. Becoming a big is truly a wonderful experience that I would not trade for the world.