‘Drive’ Movie Review

This past weekend, the University showed the movie Drive starring Ryan Gosling (the guy from the Notebook) at the Mount Union Theatre. This movie was made after the book, so I am assuming the book is better than the movie. I never actually read the book, but when are movies ever better than the book?

In the beginning of this movie, it felt like a 80s movie because of the font used and the music. The first scene had the driver, Gosling, driving a get away car for two robbers, so I once again assumed this movie was similar to the Transporter trilogy with Jason Statham, an action guy. It wasn’t. The Transporter trilogy is known for incredible action scenes where as this movie is more of a pure story line.

The majority of the beginning of the movie was just like the beginning of most movies. It was an introductory to the characters, who they are, what they do and why they are important to the movie. The driver was a silent man and an anti-hero type character with a sweet jacket. He lives in an apartment and he starts spending time with a young woman and her son. When her husband is released from jail is when the movie starts to get much more interesting.

This movie isn’t a typical American movie, probably because the director isn’t American, but that’s beside the point. It was much more about appreciating the story of the movie rather than ACTION, ACTION, ACTION!!! There was good driving, guns and blood, but that wasn’t the point of the movie, which is why I think some of my friends didn’t like the movie. The soundtrack of the movie was quite interesting as well.

I would recommend this movie to my friends who appreciate movies. I wouldn’t recommend this to my friends that don’t know a good movie when they see one. It’s modern and unpredictable. It’s got love and money, the simplest subject in most movies, yet it is still one of a kind.

2 Responses

• Cedes says:

Excellent review! I ordered this through my DISH subscription in HD and had a ladies’ night in. We’re all fans of Ryan Gosling so this was an easy choice when it came to which movie we were going to order. I certainly sensed the 80’s feel with the hot pink font of the title and the synth-pop soundtrack, which is in the least to say, killer. This is the first HD ladies’ night that I’ve hosted where we all loved the movie! One of my co-workers from DISH who is always hard to please at these parties was the first to commend Gosling’s excellent acting. Drive isn’t a chick-flick and it isn’t an over-the-top action thriller, but it suited us all well with its one of a kind writing!

• Osman says:

I enjoyed watching the Drive movie.