Different Way to Think of Studying

I am not the best with names. If I meet you once and you don’t make a memorable first impression, I won’t remember your name the next time I see you. If you do something out of the ordinary though, I will remember your name. When I see someone every day, I am obviously going to remember this or her name whether I want to or not.

In high school, I never studied and I passed comfortably, but I know I could have done better if I applied myself. College is obviously different when it comes to studying. I have to study more often and not just the night before.

Learning new material is just like learning a person’s name. Sometimes you can remember something if it is so out of the ordinary, but not everything you learn is going to be like that. You have to see the person more than once to get his or her name in your head, and the more you get to know the person, the more you understand them. When you study material for multiple days, the better you will understand it. You can get the basics of it, but won’t fully understand it until you rehearse it multiple times for multiple days.

Repetition, repetition, repetition. That is basically what it comes down to. Finals are coming up, so start slowly getting familiar with those names and by the time finals come, you’ll be best friends with your exam.