Diary of a student about to register
What follows are my sms / typed entries as I woke up around 6:20 a.m. this morning to register for classes in the spring.
- 6:22 a.m. – First alarm went off. Yes, I know it’s early, but I really don’t want to sleep through this morning. Timing is crucial. Still, five more minutes won’t kill me.
- 6:39 a.m. – Sitting in my bed. Just. Sitting. Enthusiasm is pretty low and the warm bed behind me begs the question, Why haven’t I written an app to do this for me yet?
- 6:44 a.m. – Nothing yet. I left the window open last night so I could just log in and start refreshing. However, I forgot that my 24′ widescreen monitor has the brightness level of about the surface of the sun. Who needs vision anyways?
- 6:51 a.m. – OK, still not open. Interesting. I wonder how many other people got up this early to register. Did I even get in early to register last year? I can’t remember.
- 6:54 a.m. – Nothing. Loaded up Facebook in one window and have Self Service in the other. How cool would it be to have the job of switching SS on? It’d be sweet, like candy.
- 6:58 a.m. – And, we’re in.
- 6:59 a.m. – And, we’re down. Getting this weird system error message as I try to advance to the next screen to confirm my schedule. I give my classmates about 30 seconds before they start freaking out.
- 7:02 a.m. – Facebook is proving a hilarious source of entertainment as I sit here manually refreshing this error page. I have some witty friends.
- 7:03 a.m. – From a techincal standpoint though, there’s probably not a whole lot they can do. If we don’t have the server power to withstand ~ 400 connections near simultaneously, we’re just going to have to suffer through this. The real problem is that Self Service dynamically renders each page, then serves it to the user (that way everyone sees a unique page even though we’re all on the same url). If they were pushing static pages, the server would be doing better.
- 7:08 a.m. – Kinda ridiculous. Pen and paper are winning the battle against the Internet currently.
- 7:12 a.m. – ANGEL, you’ve just been promoted. Somehow, you look better than our dear Self Service here. Enjoy the spotlight, because it’s only going to last until I log back in and you tell me Chrome isn’t a supported browser.
- 7:18 a.m. – IT’S OPEN. For REAL this time.
- 7:25 a.m. – Wrap-up: a little bit of a bumpy start and an uncessary wake time, and I’m all ready to go for spring. Ah Self Service how I love you, but I can only take you in small quantities at a time. How about we do this again next year? Great.