Cavs Draft Party

Being a die-hard Cleveland sports fan means having hope that eventually that pass or bounce will go your way. Well luckily, for Clevelanders, a few ping-pong balls bounced our way landing us the #1 and #4 picks in this year’s NBA draft. In 2003, the Cavs got lucky landing the number one pick. And, in hopes that the Cavs would fare even better in this year’s draft, I attended the free draft party held at Quicken Loans Arena.

There was a sense of excitement and anticipation in the building, which was not hard to have with all the rumored trades and deals leading up to the draft. While the Cavs never officially announced who they would select as the #1 pick, most people knew all along it would be Kyrie Irving. I was extremely happy with this selection and by the cheers from the crowd when the Irving was announced as the #1 pick, I would say most of Cleveland was too. Unfortunately, the Cavs were unable to land the one of the two people (Derrick Williams/Enes Kanter) I wanted with the #4 pick, but I feel Tristian Thompson will be a solid player for years to come. While no actual basketball was being played (besides young Cavs fans getting the opportunity to shoot free throws on the court), there was definitely excitement in the air and the everlasting hope that this is the first step toward bringing a championship to Cleveland.

Tags: