Bicycling across Ohio

I can’t believe this time of year is already here but it is time for GOBA! What does GOBA stand for? The Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure, of course! My mom, dad, sister and I are going on GOBA again this year and we are currently preparing for it.

This is a week-long bicycle trip that takes place in Ohio. Every year, the trip is in a different part of Ohio and this year it is right outside of the Columbus area.  Each day we wake up around 6 a.m. and pack everything up to head out to a new city. We bike ride about 55 miles a day to get to each new city and our luggage and tents are carried by semi-trucks.

There’s somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 people that participate in GOBA each year and it is such an awesome site to see – all of the bicyclists riding through the countryside, in the city and on the road to arrive at a camp where we all can explore a new city for the evening. It is a lot of work but it is also so much fun. GOBA is not a race (although some hardcore riders act like it is) so people can just go at their own pace to arrive at the camp whenever they’d like. The reason we wake up so early in the morning is for two reasons. Reason #1 is to beat the heat and reason #2 is to get to the camp ahead of most people to get a good spot to set up our tents (preferably under a tree or on a soft patch of grass).

Every year, they alternate flat terrain and hills and this year happens to be a flat year. Last year was pretty rough with all of the hills. Some of these hills would continue going upwards for a couple miles and we had to walk our bikes because it got too hard. The nice thing about hills though is that when there’s an up, there’s always a down and we were able to coast a little bit and let our legs rest while the wheels did the work. With this year being a flat year, we’re not going to have that same luxury so it will be a challenge as well but I’m excited to take it on!

Here’s the website if you’d like to read more about GOBA: http://goba.com/

Last year, I called into WRMU 91.1 FM once and did a report on-air about how the trip was going and this year I will be doing a few reports as well. They will be online as podcasts after the trip is over, so if you miss them, you’ll still be able to hear them. I’ll also be tweeting throughout our journey so you can follow me @shannonbrys3 if you’d like to get my updates and read about what the trip is like. :]

Also, if you want to listen to last year’s bike trip podcast to get a little taste of what it’s like you can click here and scroll down until you see “Great Ohio Bike Adventure With WRMU’s Shannon Brys podcast”.

So I’m going to go and get back to packing. I will definitely write all about the trip when I get back! Let’s all hope for dry weather :]

Have a great week and think of me out there on my bike!

-Shannon

Tags:

2 Responses