Back at Mount for the last time

This is definitely quite different from when I wrote my last post.. I’m now moved back into Mount!  I moved in last Thursday and had the day to get a bunch of work done at the radio station and unpack.

Friday was our retreat at the radio station that we have each year as the fall semester begins.  Since I’m the new Program Director, I was in charge of planning and organizing the retreat.  Basically the idea behind having that event is to get all of the newly hired directors together for a bonding experience, get ideas out in the air for the semester, start planning certain aspects of the radio station for the semester and to go off campus for a learning experience.

Every year that I’ve done the retreat since I’ve been at Mount, we always visit a big commercial radio station.  While this is usually educational, I feel like most of us have either visited a big radio station already or it’s just hard for us to relate to them.  These big radio stations have large budgets and people in their staff that have been working in the field for 20-30 years while we are all new to the field and trying to use this as a learning experience.

My idea this year was to visit another college radio station.  That way, their directors as well as ours could share ideas with one another and maybe ask some questions that we wanted answered and improve each of our stations based on the meeting.  We went to Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea, Ohio.  We had lunch with their directors first and then spent the rest of the time chatting about our stations.

I love WRMU, I’m sure you can tell from my blog so far, and I am always so happy to share with anyone all of the cool things we do throughout the year at the radio station.  I think for both stations, the day went well.  We had conversations flowing and I think we all learned a lot.  They even said they want to come to Alliance and visit our radio station sometime this semester! So I will probably be setting that up and we are all excited to have them as our guests and show them where we work.

So far, classes are going well too.  I’ve been through 3 days of school and I’m pretty sure I like all of my classes this semester :]  I love school and I love learning new things so I’m happy to be back in the classroom.  Also, it’s my last semester so it’s a little bittersweet.  I’m very excited to graduate and get a job but I love Mount, classes and my friends so I’ll definitely be sad to leave.  I guess that just means I’ll have to make the most of my last semester!

Hope everyone is having a great start to their new school year.  Have a good week!

-Shannon

Tags: