Anticipation and The District

Most students started the semester January 9, but I won’t be starting mine until January 23. That’s right, my break is two weeks longer. However, and unfortunately, this extension has not been as great as I had expected.

(Is the moon really that much bigger in DC?)

I’ll be traveling to our Nation’s Capitol to begin my semester as I’ll be participating in a program most of you may have heard about before, The Washington Center (TWC). Through TWC, I’ll be interning with my friend and colleague (and fellow classmate at Mount), Ben Hartwell. Our internship will be through a leading lobbying firm located on Capitol Hill called the Potomac Advocates. This firm deals with national defense and security, and works through some familiar branches such as Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, CIA and NASA. I’ll also be taking a class once a week called Road to the White House: Politics, Media, and the American Presidency. I’m particularly excited about this because it’s a partnership with C-SPAN, which I’m sure most of you watch on a daily basis. We’ll have exclusive access to interviews with candidates and some of the other big players on the campaign trail. I’ll also be on C-SPAN repping Mount Union and TWC … so stay tuned. Considering the political climate during election season in which I’ll be face-to-face with, I can’t imagine having a dull moment being so close and involved with the campaign as it develops and takes shape around me.

With all this impending excitement, I’m also getting very anxious. And since my break is extended, that only means that I’ll have two more weeks to sit around in quiet contemplation about my forthcoming experience, two more weeks to try and find things to do to fill my time (mostly unsuccessful) and two more weeks to procrastinate all the things I need to be doing in preparation. In other words, I’m a bit nervous about taking on the big city though. But at the same time, I’m very excited and couldn’t imagine not doing it. In fact, I’m very thankful that I am able to have this opportunity and even more thankful for those who have helped me along the way. Among those who have been instrumental in this process are those at the Ralph and Mary Regula Center for Public Service and Civic Engagement, Office of Career Development (this office is a must for any post-graduate career), my professors and of course, my family. This is definitely not a one-man-show and I couldn’t possibly do it without the help and encouragement of others.

By sharing my experiences through this blog I hope to accomplish primarily two things. The first is to highlight the usefulness of the resources available to us on campus and the many different paths to which it can lead. If anyone is at all interested in public service or civic engagement, then your first stop should be to the Regula Center. Even if your career goals involve the private sector, this office still remains useful. Hence, my internship meshes both the private and public sector together. Lastly, I hope that by sharing my experiences it will genuinely excite others to pursue their own career goals by taking a crucial step forward – even if this involves stepping out of one’s comfort zone … as the rewards will far outweigh costs.