A Stroll in Downtown Alliance.

I had suspected, for the longest time, that the University of Mount Union has been the center of Alliance. When I first came to Mount Union in January 2011, my first impression of Alliance was that it was a tiny city that revolves around our campus. I’m sure I speak for many of the international students (if not all of them) when I say that we did not know of the existence of downtown Alliance.

A few weeks ago, my housemate (also an international student) asked me to take him downtown so that he could take pictures for a class project. I agreed to do it because I was interested in photography as well. I have been downtown before. The last time I had been there was to get my driving license from the BMV.

I couldn’t help but feel as if I had traveled back in time. The city had old buildings and shops that reminded me of America in the late 60′s, even though I have never really seen 60′s America in real life (no kidding). Recently, I’ve been very interested in old things. A better term to use would be “retro” but you know what I mean. It was a real treat for me, coming from a country with so much history and heritage, to walk around Downtown Alliance and just soaking up the feeling of being in a city that has character.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the modern world, but somehow Downtown Alliance just feels so much nicer than the entire stretch of State Street; there’s character and history within each and every corner or Downtown Alliance.

We are running out of warm days here in Ohio and it is such a shame that many international students here have not seen the Alliance that was before the main focus shifted to State Street. I should really take them there before it snows. Come to think of it, Alliance when it is snowing will also be a good photographic experience.

There is just one thing that creeps me out about Downtown Alliance… where are the people?