A Nice Break

So this past weekend I got the opportunity to go home since I first started school in the third week in August! Since we don’t have Labor Day off, we get a break from classes on Friday and Monday. It’s quite an adventure for me to even make it back home (as you can imagine). My roommate lives in Pittsburgh, PA so her parents took me there with her. Then I caught a bus at 10 p.m. that arrived in Philadelphia at 3:45 a.m., and then had an hour drive back to my actual house. My dad decided to stop for breakfast though, so I actually didn’t get to bed until around six in the morning. Needless to say, I slept most of Friday. My bed welcomed me back very nicely. I fell asleep faster than I have in a long time. At school, I have this tendency to stay up planning out my days and just letting thoughts run through my mind for a while before actually falling asleep. Hopefully tonight will not be one of those nights because this weekend has left me absolutely drained!

On Friday, I picked up my little sister from the bus and she gave me a great welcome home hug (she’s 8). I also got to see my best friend who goes to a community college, so she’s still in the area. I couldn’t wait for dinner. It was delicious. My parents are the best cooks in the world. They spoil us with the creations they make us for dinner, and I have been in such a withdrawal. I think the order of importance for things most missed at home would go:

• People
  • Food
  • Bed
  • Shower
  • Driving my car
  • Just being in my house
  • Work

You may ask why in the world would I miss work, but it has to do more with the good memories that always seem to come about at work. Plus, working in a movie theater is not hard work and I miss getting into movies for free. One of my good friends/co workers took me to see Pitch Perfect Friday night and it was just like old times. Nothing like a big screen, a good movie, great friends and delicious movie theatre popcorn!

On Saturday, I spent time with my mom and sisters shopping after our haircut in the morning. Then my older sister (she’s 13) and I went out to eat at my favorite fast food restaurant- Chick Fil A! I have yet to come across one near Mount. It was good bonding time. Then, our family did our annual pumpkin carving together. For dinner, my mom made one of my favorites – chicken in a biscuit! The rest of my night was spent with another of my friends just catching up and enjoying each other’s company.

On Sunday, our family went to church and afterwards my dad and I went to look at new phones. I can’t wait until we upgrade! It will be my first smartphone… I’m that far behind. My best friend, who I’ve known since birth, came down from where she lives (half hour away) to spend the rest of the day with me. My grandparents also came over to have a big family meal together. My family is very Italian and we know how to make a lot of homemade pasta, so I requested that my grandparents make me cavatels. It is dough and ricotta cheese mixed together and then made into these fat u shapes and cooked. We also have these at Thanksgiving so next time I go home I’ll get to have them again!

I really enjoyed finally being able to go home and catch up with my friends and family. I didn’t think I missed it, but being home I recognized that there are things I surely do miss. I’m happy to be getting back to school though. I like being on my own, missed my friends, and have a ton of schoolwork I need to start focusing on now that the fun has ended. I hope your first fall break is as good as mine was! Time to get back to the grind of homework and studying. Amazing how time flies when you’re having fun, but I bet this week will drag on forever.