7:30 a.m., say what?!

This was my exact response when I first saw my draft schedule at Preview. I was excited to get away from the routine of getting up early, like my high school years. It wasn’t an easy class either… It’s chemistry! Unfortunately, I need the class for my major and there were no other classes available. I could have waited until spring semester, but my senior year I took AP chemistry so the material is still fresh in my mind. I’m not going to lie, it definitely does suck getting up at 6:45 a.m. and going to class with my hair up and in sweats because that’s all I can manage that early. I got lucky though. On Monday’s and Friday’s my 7:30 a.m. class is my ONLY class, so I go back to my room and take two hour naps until about 11 a.m. on those days and the rest I can spend catching up on homework. On Wednesday’s I have my lab at 12:30 p.m., but I can still go back to my room and sleep until about 11 a.m. So… I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily sleep deprived from my 7:30 a.m. classes, but some mornings it is almost impossible to get out of bed. On Tuesday’s and Thursday’s I get up at 8 a.m. so I can shower and make myself look more presentable for my classes, the first of which starts at 9:20 a.m. Even though I get to sleep in later on these days (about an hour), sometimes I feel just as tired. Plus the classes on Tuesday/Thursday are much longer and I don’t get finished until 4 p.m. I almost favor M/W/F more because I get to take naps, which usually leave me feeling better and more rested. Plus, I like getting class out of the way early and being able to spend the rest of the day taking care of laundry, working, studying or anything else I need to do.

If you’re a prospective student reading this, you might think that taking naps in the morning is something you would never be able to do because you’re used to making it through a whole day and getting up at six in the morning. Believe me, I thought the same thing when I was here for my overnight stay and the girl I was shadowing came back to take an hour nap before her next class. I just sat there, awake, because I wasn’t used to getting breaks or having time to just relax. I quickly learned that nap time is definitely a staple in college. You make sure to schedule naps into your day and when you schedule classes.

Next semester, I got a little bit luckier with the times for the classes I need. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I don’t have class until 8:45 a.m., then an hour break, then another class, then an hour break and then my final class. I’ll be finished by 2 p.m. or so. On Tuesday, I don’t have class until 2:20 p.m. and am finished at 4! On Thursday, I have class from 12:30-4 p.m. That is, if I get into all of the classes I want to!! Since I am in the Honors Program I get to schedule with the seniors, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I’m pretty happy with it. The only bad class I’m going to have next semester is a night lab. I figured that at night I would be a little more awake, and I did not really want to have to wake up for a 7:30 a.m. lab on Thursday. My goal this semester was to start classes later so I didn’t have to take naps. Although they are nice, uninterrupted sleep is definitely better at making you feel more rested. Who knows, after spring semester is over I might realize I don’t like that set up and try to get all morning classes! The best schedules are the ones where you have Tuesday and Thursday off. Unfortunately, my major offers certain classes only once a semester and usually on Tuesday/Thursday’s so the likelihood of that happening to me is slim. I know people though who have those days completely off though so it can be done! Your freshman year is pretty much a luck of the draw. At Preview (depending which you go to), you don’t usually have a lot you can move around in your schedule, but play around with your schedule the following semesters. Make sure to send it in as soon as you’re eligible too! (I’ll explain this later.)

Moral of the story is, if you end up being put in a 7:30 a.m. class, don’t panic too much, but try to leave a little time after it to catch a quick nap!